In response to the shifting seasons, Louisiana homeowners have begun abandoning their heaters and blasting their air conditioners instead. This annual transition from heating to cooling can easily strain your AC system, meaning it’s essential to monitor your unit’s performance.
Tim’s Southern Air is available for expert advice on all things HVAC, including springtime maintenance. Additionally, there are four simple tasks you can complete today to ensure your system is prepared for the rising temperatures:
1. Replace Your Air Filters
Filter replacement should be the easiest step on your AC maintenance checklist. If it’s been more than 90 days or you notice bundles of debris gathering in your vents, a new filter is way overdue.
Spring is peak allergy season in the south, meaning extra pollen and dust might be lurking in your home. Swapping out your filters can eliminate these irritants, improve your cooling system’s airflow and ultimately improve your home’s energy efficiency and air quality.
2. Clean Your Outdoor Unit
Your outdoor unit may have faced icy winds and precipitation through the winter, leaving it desperate for a deep cleaning.
Visually examine the unit for stray leaves, branches or any other obvious dirt. If it still needs a more thorough scrub, you can undergo the following process:
- Deactivate your air conditioning using the power switch on the outdoor unit itself, or shut it off from your breaker box.
- Using a mower or your hands, slash away weeds and other plant life that are growing within two feet of the unit.
- Gather and dispose of any leftover clippings or debris.
- Use a hose and a soft brush to delicately wipe away the remaining dirt caked on the unit.
3. Seal Windows and Doors
Though this task doesn’t require you to physically work on your unit, it can still significantly improve your cooling system’s efficiency.
Walk through your home and check for any drafty exits, as gaps to the outdoors will allow chilled air from your AC to escape. This will force your air conditioner to work twice as hard when the weather heats up. If you identify faulty areas, simply apply weatherstripping or caulk to the window frame or doorframe.
4. Schedule an AC Maintenance Appointment
Finally, perhaps the most important step is connecting with a professional for an AC tune-up. Although you can resolve surface-level unit issues, there may be deeper problems that only an experienced technician can address. Without regular maintenance appointments, you may only discover these malfunctions in the height of springtime or, worse yet, the scorching summer.
On top of preventing untimely breakdowns, tune-ups yield countless benefits, including:
- Better energy efficiency: By addressing any hiccups in the cooling process, your unit will require less energy to keep your home at a comfortable temperature. In the end, you’ll end up protecting the environment and saving big on utility expenses.
- Improved indoor air quality: With proper care, an air conditioner can easily filter out household allergens and pollutants, allowing your family to breathe easier.
- Extended system lifespan: A well-maintained unit inevitably lasts longer than a neglected one. By preventing a premature system collapse, regular AC tune-ups can save you thousands of dollars on unit replacement and installation.
Request a service appointment with Tim’s Southern Air to cross your annual maintenance appointment off your to-do list. For an affordable price, we’ll make sure your system is primed for optimal springtime performance.